No Deal: MLB players don’t blink in latest standoff

  • Home
  • No Deal: MLB players don’t blink in latest standoff

No Deal: MLB players don’t blink in latest standoff

Collin Morikawa in first round action. Photo by Sam Greenwood/Getty Images
BY TRAVIS DAVID
Publisher

 

NEW YORK — Raise your hand if you have heard this before…the Major League Baseball Player’s Association rejected the latest proposal from the MLB.

 

Saturday’s rejection of the MLB’s proposed 72-game season — with a 70 percent prorated salary (potential for 80 percent with a postseason) — came as no surprise.

 

The players’ union has stood its ground from the beginning of the compensation battle that they would not play for less than 100 percent of their prorated salary.

 

Unlike the first two denials, the MLBPA did not make a counteroffer Saturday night.

 

“It, unfortunately, appears that further dialogue with the league would be futile,” MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said in a statement. “It’s time to get back to work. Tell us when and where.”

 

The latter statement is in reference to an agreement in March reached by the two sides that commissioner Rob Manfred would set the 2020 schedule.

 

With the fate of the 2020 MLB season appearing to be in the hands of Manfred, it is believed games will be played this summer but only between 48-55 regular-season games. The players would be paid 100 percent of their 2020 prorated salaries.

 

The MLBA first counteroffered a 114-game schedule before coming down to 89 games — both with 100 percent prorated salaries.

 

According to reports, Manfred told ESPN earlier in the week he felt Major League Baseball would “unequivocally, 100 percent, be played this season.”

 

Now the whole sporting world, or at least all MLB fans, await Commissioner Manfred’s next move…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.